You’re listening to music on your Airpod Pro when suddenly you drop it in the toilet, and you gasp at the splash. Whether this was intentional or not, there are steps you can take if this happens to keep your Airpod from becoming damaged and unusable. Here’s what you should do if you drop your Airpod Pro in water.
Should I turn it on?
The first step is to turn the device off. This will stop any water from entering the device. The next step is to remove any additional moisture, which can be done by drying it with a towel or leaving it out in a dry area for an hour or two. After that, put the device in a container of rice and leave it overnight. Plugging your device into a charger could cause more damage if there is still water inside. As such, it’s important to wait until all moisture has been removed before trying to charge the device.
Otherwise, you risk frying the battery and damaging internal components.
Once you are sure all remaining water has evaporated, plug your device in and allow charging as usual. Sometimes, even when you have dried the device completely after exposure to water, your headphone may not turn on or start charging.
How long can you keep it off?
It’s important to try and act quickly. Leaving the Airpod in water for too long can cause permanent damage. It is recommended that you take the following steps:
– Immediately remove the Airpods from the water and place them in a container filled with uncooked rice or silica gel packets.
– Avoid exposing to any more moisture or heat by keeping it in a cool, dry environment for 24 hours. – Once 24 hours has passed, leave them out to air dry for 24 hours before using them again.
– Take a toothbrush to gently clean off any dirt or debris on the outside of the Airpod. Do not use abrasive materials like paper towels as they may scratch your Airpods surface.
– After they have been dried off and cleaned, they should be left unused for one week while continuing to monitor their condition.
– Keep your charging case away from high humidity areas such as bathrooms or laundry rooms where there is excess moisture due to condensation.
Give it time before turning it back on
If you drop your Airpod Pro in water, put it in a bag of rice for a minimum of 24 hours before turning it back on. This will help dry out the moisture and prevent corrosion from occurring inside the earbud.
If you do not have rice, wrap the earbud in a paper towel or cloth and place it in an airtight container with silica gel packets or desiccant packs for at least 24 hours. This will also help dry out the moisture and prevent corrosion from occurring inside the earbud. If there is no time to wait, clean off any debris from outside of the earbuds with rubbing alcohol and then place them immediately in an airtight container with silica gel packets or desiccant packs. Wait 24 hours before turning the earbuds back on to allow drying. Place them in a ziplock bag full of rice if they’re still wet.
Apple AirPods (3rd Generation) Wireless Earbuds with Lightning Charging Case. Spatial Audio, Sweat and Water Resistant, Up to 30 Hours of Battery Life. Bluetooth Headphones for iPhone
Apple AirPods Pro (2nd Generation) Wireless Earbuds with MagSafe Charging Case. Active Noise Cancelling, Personalized Spatial Audio, Customizable Fit, Bluetooth Headphones for iPhone